How to style an outfit Flat Lay
OK, so what the heck is a Flat Lay?? Glad you asked. It's an easy arrangement of items you want to showcase. Whether it's an outfit, the products in your beauty bag or the knick knacks on your desk. There are so many ways of styling a flat lay, and so many different items you can use and TBH your number one secret here is that it's mostly just trial and error. *Spoiler alert* But there are a few tips that can help you get a great shot every time!
- Find the natural light. Because lighting is everything, am I right?! So open your curtains and drag your background and props near the window.
- Pull out the step stool. Or just a chair. You want to get that steady overhead angle from a straight look down, so it helps to have a few extra inches.
- Use a simple background. I grabbed a white quilt from my room, but your couch or even a poster board works well too. I had adhesive marble paper from Lowe's I used for a long time too which was a great fake since I didn't have marble kitchen counters handy ; )
- Divide your square. Begin filling each corner with one item. You want to show a complete outfit, so begin with the staples: your top, bottoms, the shoes, etc. Try folding your pieces a few different ways to see what brings balance to the frame, but they don't need to be perfect folds or totally symmetrical.
- Add in your accessories. Jewelry, clutches, hats, etc. I used my last corner to bring in three smaller pieces and a bit of color.
Cheers to all the flat-layers out there ; )